PRESENTATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
1. Let Your Kindness Shine
(Yrs 1-4) (1 hr)
• Join Ling Li on her quest to show her wisdom.
• An enlightening workshop that will help children fill the world with compassion.
• Based on the picture book “Ling Li’s Lantern” by Steve Heron
• (Illustrated by Benjamin Johnston)
• Available from August 2020.
• Wisdom without compassion is like a lantern without a flame.
Lantern decorating extra
2. Grow Your Writing Wings
(Years 4-6) (1 to 1.5 hr)
• Introduction to the author ‘Steve Heron’.
• An emotional literary escapade based on the book ‘MAXIMUS’.
• Helping middle-grade children not be alone with their feelings.
• Exploring emotions through descriptive writing. (Show don’t tell)
Sometimes you need a special friend to give you wings …
3. PHILOMENA EDWINA PHINTWHISTLE’S
Astounding Athenaeum of Weird, Wacky, Wonderful and Whimsical Words.
(Yrs 5 to 9) (3 hours)
• Writing will never be so much fun. Laugh until your sides split.
• Write like you have never written before.
• This extended workshop includes: Literary devices, Alliteration, Rhymes,
• Wordology, Poetry, Haiku, Cinquain, Puns, Jokes, Tongue Twisters,
• Nonsense Words and more, in a creative and fun exposition of buffoonery.
4. Stuff Sucks – Conquering the Unvanquished Truths
(Years 4-6) (1 to 1.5 hr)
• A short exploration of ‘Freak the Mighty’ – by Rodman Philbrick.
• Readings and references from ‘MAXIMUS’.
• Expressing the tough stuff through writing.
• Journaling, poetry and conquering the unvanquished truths.
5. Don’t Press My Buttons
PP to Yr 3) (1 hour)
An investigation of feelings based on the (yet to be published) book ‘Don’t Press My Buttons’.
Branson discovers his BREATHE button and decides to be the boss of his feelings.
Explores principles of emotional intelligence, body language and self-regulation.
These concepts are crafted in a fun way that children can embrace.
Includes singing, writing, and button pressing.
6. ANZAC RESPECT
– (Years 4-6) (1 hr)
(Term 1 and early term 2 only)
An interactive presentation based on the Anzac references in Maximus.
• Unpacking Mitch’s Anzac Project Swag
• Anzac Respect Poetry and Anzac Day memories
• Writing about heroes and symbols of Anzac
• Some short readings from the Maximus
I have permission from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to use the word Anzac.
7. Nursery Crimes, Slimes and Nursery Wrongs – The (F) Art of Writing Funny Stuff
- Yrs 4-7 (1hr)
- What do Kids find funny?
- Understanding and using literary devices for writing humor.
- An hilarious workshop that will split kids sides and help them to write creative funny stuff.
Available for whole week residencies, staff PD and parent talks
- Download Steve Heron Presentations 2020
- Download Steve Heron Author Rates 2020
- Download Maximus Teaching Notes
- Download Australian Curriculum Maximus
- Download Ling Li’s Lantern Teaching Notes
Please contact me for special packages and to negotiate author fees
- Contact Steve to make a booking: CONTACT LINK
- Fees based on ASA (Australian Association of Authors) schedule.
- Member of SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators), CBCA WA, ASA and Writing WA
- Working With Children Check No: 115445
- ABN 54 701 702 317
- Public Liability Insurance
- Australian Curriculum Links