PRESENTATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
1. Wings in The Wind
(Yrs 4-6) (1hr) Based on Steve Heron’s middle-grade novel One Thousand Snapshots.
Second book in the Bayside Blues series (The first being Maximus, also referred to in the WS)
– An engaging story of a search for belonging and hope. Issues include grief, friendships, stereotyping, and pre-adolescence.
(Published by Playtime Books – Shawline Publishing Group) This workshop explores the W.I.N.G.S. acronym for creative and descriptive story-writing. “Hope is wings in the wind.”
2. Where Ya Goin’? Workshop
(Yrs 1-4) (1 hr) A fun, creative workshop
Celebrating and exploring the nature of togetherness, friendship, outback animals, and marshmallows.
Where is Echidna Going in his rickety old bus with a big bag of marshmallows? The journey of creating a picture book.
Based on the picture book “Where Ya Goin’?” by Steve Heron (Illustrated by Matty Mitchell) (Published by Wild Eyed Press)
Writing humorous stanzas about Aussie creatures.
3. Let Your Kindness Shine
(Yrs 1-4) (1 hr)
Join Ling Li on her quest to show her wisdom.
An enlightening workshop that will help children fill the world with kindness and compassion. Based on Steve Heron’s award-winning picture book “Ling Li’s Lantern.” (Illustrated by Benjamin Johnston) (MidnightSun Publishing) Lantern decorating (extra $1 per child)
“Wisdom without compassion is like a lantern without a flame.”
4. Grow Your Writing Wings
(Years 4-6) (1hr)
An emotional literary escapade based on Steve Heron’s middle-grade novel ‘MAXIMUS’. (First book in the Bayside Blues series)
(Published by Serenity Press) Workshop includes references to Steve’s latest shortlisted MG novel “One Thousand Snapshots”) Helping middle-grade children not be alone with their feelings. Exploring emotions through descriptive writing. (Show don’t tell)
5. Nursery Crimes, Slimes and Nursery Wrongs – The (F) Art of Writing Funny Stuff
(Yrs 4-6) (1hr)
What do kids find funny?
Understanding and using literary devices for writing humour.
It is a hilarious workshop that will split kids’ sides and help them write creative, funny stuff. References to Where Ya Goin’? and some of Steve’s unpublished manuscripts.
6. Stuff Sucks – Conquering the Unvanquished Truths
(Years 4-6) (1 hr)
A short exploration of ‘Freak the Mighty’ – by Rodman Philbrick.
Readings and journaling references from ‘MAXIMUS’ and the shortlisted ‘ONE THOUSAND SNAPSHOTS’.
Expressing the tough stuff through writing.
Journaling, poetry and conquering the unvanquished truths.
7. “WOW” Workshop
Wilberforce Oswald Wordbender’s Astounding Athenaeum of Weird, Wacky, Wonderful and Whimsical Words.
(Yrs 5 to 7) (3 hours)
Writing will never be so much fun. Laugh until your sides split. Write as you have never written before. This advanced workshop includes Literary devices dinosaurs, Alliteration, Rhymes, Wordology, Poetry, Haiku, Cinquain, Puns, Jokes, Tongue Twisters, Nonsense Words and more in a creative and fun exposition of buffoonery and writery brilliance.
8. ANZAC RESPECT
(Years 4-6) (1 hr)
(Term 1 and early term 2 only)
An interactive presentation based on the Anzac references in Maximus. Unpacking Mitch’s Anzac Project Swag
Anzac Respect Poetry and Anzac Day memories
Writing about heroes and symbols of Anzac
Some short readings from the Maximus
I have permission from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to use the word Anzac.
- 9. Don’t Press My Buttons
(PP to Yr 3) (1 hour)
An investigation of feelings based on the (yet to be published) book ‘Don’t Press My Buttons’.
Branson discovers his BREATHE button and decides to be the boss of his feelings.
Explores principles of emotional intelligence, body language and self-regulation.
These concepts are crafted in a fun way that children can embrace.
Includes singing, writing, and button pressing.
Available for whole week residencies. (Contact Steve for enquiries)
Staff PL, parent talks and adult workshops, festival talks and workshop
- A Children’s Book is a Compass – talk/workshop (30 mins to 1 hr)
- Ling Li’s Lantern – The Journey of a picture book from idea to publication (1 hr)
- Writing Dashing Dialogue – Adult writing workshop on the art of dialogue (1.5 hrs)
- Writing What’s Real and Unreal in Kids Books (1.5 hrs)
- Writing realistic fiction and unreal kids picture books
- Descriptive Writing and Show Don’t Tell Workshop for adults (1.5 hrs)
- (Adult version of Grow Your Writing Wings Workshop)
- How to Turn Your Word Vomit into a Polished Piece (1.5 hrs)
- The process of writing from first draft, to editing, to submittable manuscript.
- Balancing the Power – Beyond Bullyproofing (1.5 hrs)
- The Art of Social Confidence in Children
- Agro and Emo – Helping kids on the emotional rollercoaster (1.5 hrs)
- Practical Emotional Intelligence with children
- Helping Kids solve Fights and Restore Relationships (1.5 hrs)
- The BUZ Hopscotch method of conflict resolution and restorative justice
- Grow your Kid’s Wings (1.5 hrs)
- Parent or teacher presentation on the socio-emotional learning in Maximus and One Thousand Snapshots & the Five Nutrients for Social & Emotional Wellbeing
- Download Steve Heron Author Rates 2022
- Download Steve Heron Presentations 2022
- Download Maximus Teaching Notes
- Download Australian Curriculum Maximus
- Download Ling Li’s Lantern Teaching Notes
- One Thousand Snapshots Teaching Notes
- One Thousand Snapshots and The Australian Curriculum
- One Thousand Snapshots and Descriptive Writing
- One Thousand Snapshots Dashing Dialogue Excerpt
- Writing Dashing Dialogue
- Maddy’s Nanna’s Best Pumpky Scones in The Universe Recipe
Please contact me for special packages and to negotiate author fees
- Contact Steve to make a booking: CONTACT LINK
- Fees based on ASA (Australian Association of Authors) schedule.
- Member of SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators), CBCA WA, ASA and Writing WA
- Working With Children Check No: 115445
- ABN 54 701 702 317
- Public Liability Insurance
- Australian Curriculum Links