Steve Heron OAM – BIO
Books to touch and tickle your heart
♦ Children’s book author ♦ Schools presenter ♦ Conference speaker ♦ Children’s advocate ♦ Affirmative vandal ♦ Hooligan of hope ♦ Champion of social and emotional wellbeing in children ♦ BUZologist ♦ Wordbender ♦
Steve’s passion is to power hope in children, especially through children’s literature. His love of picture books is shown by his extensive collection. He craves to write quality picture books and novels that engage children, at the same time aid them to handle the tricky things in life. He aspires to keep it real and unreal for kids in his books, some for fun, some to stir hope.
Steve writes books for children with a unique blend of heart, hope, humor and help.
- Heart – heartfelt stories with elements of reality and meaning.
- Hope – stories that nurture hope and a glimpse of a better tomorrow.
- Humor – stories and poems that tickle toes and turn the giggle taps on.
- Help – stories to touch on issues children face, providing a sense of empathy.
Steve’s stories combine these elements in varying quantities to create books that touch and tickle hearts.
Maximus, his first middle-grade novel was published by Serenity Press in early 2018 and is receiving positive reviews.
- First trade-published picture book, ‘Lingli’s Lantern’ released September 2020.
- Picture book ‘Where Ya Goin’?‘ under contract with Wild Eyed Press due for release in 2021.
- Second Middle-grade novel ‘1000 Snapshots’ due for release 2021 – Playtime books (Shawline Publishing Group) – Runner up in the Shawline Novel competition 2020.
- Short story ‘Dragon Tears‘ Highly commended in the BUZZwords Magazine Short Story Competition 2020
- Picture book ‘Harold the Horrid’ was short listed with 2017 Greenleaf Buds Writing competition.
- Short story ‘The Money Pouch’ was long listed in the BUZZWords Magazine Short Story competition 2018.
Steve completed a Diploma of Children’s Writing and Publishing in 2015 with the Australian College.
He has recently semi-retired from 40 years of pastoral work with children to focus on his writing.
Steve is the founder of Nurture Works Foundation and developed the acclaimed ‘BUZ – Build Up Zone’ social and emotional programs and initiatives used in many schools throughout WA.
In 2016, he was listed in the Queen’s Birthday honours and received an Order of Australia Medal for contribution to the social and emotional wellbeing of children.
His first dabble with writing for children led to a series of six picture books in the ‘Feel Safe Feel Right Series’ published by Nurture Works in 2007.
Author of ‘BUZology’ 2011 and ‘Bullyproofing’ 2013 – books for people working with and caring for children.
Steve has extensive experience working with children in schools and is no stranger to doing presentations to kids. He has a positive web and social media platform ready to promote his books and presentations.
A champion of wellbeing for children, he has been called an affirmative vandal and a hooligan of hope.
- Steve has spent more than 15,000 hours of his life in pastoral conversation with children, listening to their hurts, concerns, struggles, joys and celebrations.
- Steve is available for school author visits, class workshops, library visits, writer’s festivals and staff professional development. SEE HERE
- Steve is also a champion of the Liddle Things, as seen through his photography and writing.