Steve Heron OAM – BIO
♦ Children’s book author ♦ Schools presenter ♦ Conference speaker ♦ Children’s advocate ♦ Affirmative vandal ♦ Hooligan of hope ♦ child whisperer ♦ BUZologist ♦ Champion of social and emotional wellbeing in children ♦
Steve has a passion to power hope in children especially through children’s literature. His love of picture books is shown by his extensive collection. He craves to write quality picture books and novels that engage children, at the same time assist them with things life can throw at them. He aspires to keep it real and unreal for kids in his books.
- In 2015 Steve finished an Diploma of Children’s Writing and Publishing with The Australian College. He is a member of SCBWI, ASA and CBCA. Attended the 2014 and 2016 SCBWI conferences in Sydney and well as many other writer events.
- Steve is the founder of Nurture Works Foundation and developed the acclaimed ‘BUZ – Build Up Zone’ social and emotional wellbeing programs and initiatives used in many schools throughout WA.
- Steve recently semi-retired from 40 years of pastoral work with children to focus on his writing. His first middle-grade novel ‘Maximus’ was published by Serenity Press in 2018.
- In 2015, Steve was nominated in the Australian of the Year Awards Local Hero Category for Western Australia and 2015 Finalist in the Western Australian of the Year Awards, community section.
- In 2016, he was listed in the Queen’s Birthday honors and received an Order of Australia Medal for contribution to the social and emotional wellbeing of children.
- Steve has spent more than 15,000 hours of his life in pastoral conversation with children, listening to their hurts, concerns, struggles, joys and celebrations.
- Steve has extensive experience working in primary schools. As an author he is available for school author visits, class workshops, library visits and staff professional development. SEE HERE
- Steve is also a champion of the Liddle Things, as seen through his photography and writing.